The brief was to install a mezzanine within one of the original Victorian classrooms, to improve the access to the building, to provide additional storage, to improve internal circulation and to improve the thermal performance of the existing building.
- The works had to be completed within the 6 week summer holidays.
- There was a very tight budget.
- The existing building fabric was in poor condition.
- Mechanical and electrical services also had to be replaced within the budget.
SOLUTIONS & SUCCESSES:
- The new mezzanine classrooms are very cost effective and popular teaching spaces.
- The new entrance porch improves circulation and provides additional storage.
- The mezzanine windows are at children’s eye level and overlook the brown roof of the porch.
- The external walls and roof space are insulated and the external brickwork cavity wall ties were replaced.