Our brief was to construct a new studio with living accommodation with open plan area at ground floor level and two rooms at first floor one with en-suite bathroom. Also to have additional temporary overnight accommodation.
- It is within grounds of a Grade II Listed Farm House.
- Presumption against development in the countryside.
- The Client was working to a very tight budget.
SOLUTIONS & SUCCESSES:
- Traditional Kent green oak frame barn form resulted in relatively easy passage through the planning system.
- Close collaboration between Cyma and the client enabled the client to have significant design input and project manage the construction stage thus keeping costs to a minimum.
- Oak frame and Electrical works let as separate subcontracts to enable client project management.
- Green oak frame construction enabled off site fabrication and quick on site erection of frame.
- Sliding screen at ground floor and fold out bed created additional sleeping area.
- Green oak frame construction resulted in dramatic open plan internal spaces.
- Ground source heat pump in combination with under floor heating used.
- Resulting in the building having a very low environmental impact.